Determine the total density.
- Find the volume of the can, using water and
a scale -- Vt in cm3
- Fill the can with soil and weigh it -- calculate Mt
- Calculate total density (ρ) in g/cm3
Determine the water content
- Label and weigh a paper cupcake cup
- Place 50-100g of soil in the cup and record the weight
- Microwave it for approximately 3 minutes
- Remove it from the oven and record the weight
- Microwave it for another minute and record the weight
- Repeat until the weight no longer drops, being
particularly careful with the presumpscot clay...
- Calculate the water content (w)
Draw the phase diagram and solve it.
Use only Vt, Mt, ρ and w
from your measurements in g and cm3
Assume Gs = 2.68 (density of solids) for all the
Using the relevant equations, determine the required properties.
Show the equations and all your work.